R2 Fish School Complete Fish Training Kit Reviews
- Includes a 45 minute detailed instructional DVD featuring world famous fish trainer Dr Dean Pomerleau
- Includes a Full Color manual with over 100 photos and packed with training tips
- The easy to use, targeted feeding wand comes with each kit making it easy to reward your fish at the correct times
- Includes the R2 Fish School training Field and a compact base platform for bowls or small tanks
- 11.4 x 2.6 x 6.9 (lxhxw)
60 of 64 people found the following review helpful
35 years and still learning /expand your training world,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: R2 Fish School Complete Fish Training Kit (Misc.)Got the training kit and think it is pure genius. I have been in the professional animal training world for 35 years. I specialized in elephants and exotic animals . I learned operant conditioning at an early stage in my career and was able to use this knowledge to improve my understanding of training theories and applications in training for more humane results.
I agree with the other reviews that this kit is complete and was put together with real some real indepth thought behind it. The DVD is so easy to follow and the pieces almost self explainatory in the way they snap together.
This kit is super for parents just wanting to interact with their children. The kit would be wonderful also for teachers wanting an in classroom project. A Shrine Hospital treating kids or a day care could easily have a mascot for the children and teach the fish for fun as well as entertainment.
Where I see the real value in the R2 Fish School trainig kit is teaching adults though. I know many adults would think they are beyond a fish training kit .In my years of teaching and consulting on behavioral modification in the Zoo world I could have definately used this kit to expand peoples understanding of operant conditioning and learning theory. There seems to be a new wave of people involved in what is known as clicker training . There are some trainers even holding seminars to share these techniques. One noted expert has newcomers to the field of operant conditioniong train chickens so the students can learn the theory and application hands on in a class room. The fish could replace the chicken and is easier to house, clean and care for in many enviorments than are chickens.I know you can get more reinforcements into a chicken but each of these animals has its individual benifits to training it. Training this little fish demonstrates most of all that animals can and wil learn with out physical coercion. No bridle or bit, no choke chain or leash . Just you your intelect and the use of positive reinforcements to accomplish a wide range behaviors you never thought a fish could do.
If you want a fun productive, interactive, and worthwhile training tool this is it.It is not just for kids.
You clicker trainers out their interested in this R2 fish kit may take note. This kit does not have a clicker included .Those of you who would want to use this to teach adults could use a slight single tap on the side of the glass when pressenting a food reinforcement . This taping noise association quickly would replace the clicker as a secondary reinforcer or bridging stimulus.
Do not be surprised if you see this in the Sea World gift shops soon.
30 of 30 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: R2 Fish School Complete Fish Training Kit (Misc.)Got mine Friday....already trained my Betta to swim through the hoop....Tunnel trick next. The DVD and manual are really easy to understand. The DVD is actually very entertaining....I'm sure my Betta won't be as successful as Comet but we'll give it a shot! The parts are very well made and well engineered. I recommend this product to any fish lover...its also great for kids - educational & fun. My son can't wait to participate in our nightly training sessions!
33 of 35 people found the following review helpful
More then I expected,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: R2 Fish School Complete Fish Training Kit (Misc.)R2 Fish School
I purchased the R2 Fish School to explore the possibility of Animal Assisted Therapy. With the advancement of microcontrollers and sensors it'll be possible to setup a tank that is interactive and gives feedback.
I've gone through a two year program that teaches you how to train your own assistance dog. Shane and I graduated four years ago and I use operant conditioning to improve upon current skills or teach new ones that we need.
I think the greatest benefit of the R2 Fish School kit is that it removes barriers of learning positive reinforcement that happens when you try to train a dog.
* Even though 90% of our dog's communication is through body language, we assume they understand full sentences, and get frustrated when they don't. We don't expect that with fish.
* We expect that dogs have the same learning curve as us, and get frustrated that it's ten times greater or that they'll chain together behaviors quicker. We don't expect that of fish.
* It's easy to get physical with the dog to put him in the right position. Can't do that with fish.
* The hardest thing for people to grasp about operant conditioning is that the animal is the operator, you are the vending machine. When the animal deposits the right change (behavior), you dispense the treat. You're forced to do that with fish.
If you want to become a better dog trainer, fish will help you get the techniques of operant conditioning faster. In my mind the cost of starting for scratch with a brand new tank, fish and R2 Fish School will save you a lot of frustration.
As other reviewers have pointed out there is a lot of value in the R2 Fish kit.
* 45 minute DVD that shows you the training techniques. Father and son Dean and Kyle Pmerleau developed the kit and Dean leads you through the process of using the kit and training the behaviors. Kyle provides comic relief to breakup the segments.
* 32 page booklet on how to use and assemble the equipment.
* Large Fish School Platform with holes to plug in the equipment
* Compact Weighted base
* Feeding Wand
* Feeding Wand extension
* Five 4.5 inch post
* One 6.5 inch post
* Two 5 inch Uprights with holes to create a goal post or limbo bar
* Cross bar for the upright post
* Expansion hoop connector & tubing so that you can create a variable size hoop for your fish to swim through
* 3 inch sheet of plastic to construct a tunnel
* 5 inch sheet of plastic to construct a tunnel
* Tunnel mount
* Two 1.5 inch tunnel straps
* Two 2.5 inch tunnel straps
* Retrieval & placement tool with a hook
* Retrieval & placement tool with a net
* Three different size soccer balls for your fish to push into the goal
* Soccer goal
* Soccer Goal Post Clips to help guide the ball into the net
* Football designed so that your fish can pick it up.
* Three different size fetch rings for your fish to retrieve
* Slalom Adapter
* Basketball that floats on the surface so that your fish can make a basket
* Basketball hoop with suction cup so that the hoop can be placed near the surface for the basket ball.
A lot of thought went into this kit. An example is the goal post clips that guide the soccer ball into the net. Without them the soccer ball could become trapped between the goal post and the training platform walls. It's important that you plan your training session so that the animal doesn't get frustrated. The goal post clips are an example of this technique.
I had known for a few years that it was possible to train fish, but had never taken the time to do it. Dean & Kyle took the time and a lot of thought and care went into the design of this kit. Operant conditioning isn't a way to control your pet, but a way of communicating.
My assistance dog Shane was considered un-adoptable by both the humane society and the Labrador rescue group. Everyone who adopted him found him to be too wild and demanding. But he passed his temperament test for the assistance dog school, he was given to me by the Labrador rescue foundation and I was told I couldn't give him back.
Operant conditioning saved his life and improved mine. I know from experience that if I had this kit back then it would have helped me get the training techniques faster.
› See all 33 customer reviews...